Monday, March 3, 2014

Lyda Heng Interview.



I knew Lyda's car before I knew Lyda. I was my first ITR Expo, second DE in the hatch, and I am having my way with the beginner group at Autobahn. I pull up to grid and here is this Type R in front of me. It has a big ol' wing on the back of it, canards, just all the "cool" stuff, and I thought to myself "Nice wing, but you're about to get rolled.." They send him out and HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL!! I brought a knife to a war apparently. He went screaming out, but I thought that I could catch him in the back section, but I never did. I walked by his car later and yep, sure enough, there's that K series that I expected. I didn't see anyone around the car and I don't remember Lyda and I's first interaction. But, with our similar interests, especially sports, he is one of the easiest people for me to talk to in the Expo paddock. We even got the chance to shoot around together last year at the hotel, in the pitch black. haha. I don't know how anyone got out of there without any broken fingers. I think the one thing that gravitates me to Lyda is the respect that I have for him. I hear it all the time about "Oh, there's not a track close" or "I don't want to wreck my car.." Here is Lyda and his buddies driving 4,000 miles plus per Expo trip just to track with friends. And, to top that off the first three Expos that he did, he drove the car to and from the track! I remember my drive back from Expo11, some wanted to get a hotel, and some(I) just wanted to get home. My drive was roughly 10 hours and a bit over 650 miles to get home. We ended up stopping about 40 minutes from my house because I was physically and mentally done. I don't remember how long I had been up at that point, but I couldn't keep my eyes open. Yet, Lyda makes the trip to track his car, plus hang out with the ITRCA community every year. I could go on and on about him, but I'll stop now and let you read what I threw at him, car and sports related!


BA: What was your first car and what ever happened to it?
      
LH: 1992 Acura Integra GS. I sold the car for a down payment on a 2000 PY ITR.


BA: What got you into racing or into cars in general?

LH: Family and friends got me into the car scene. I started to want to track on my own because I originally built my car for show. After all the money and time spent on the car, I decide to put the car to use. Why spend all that money and not use it for its real purpose! 


BA: What has been your favorite car to drive on track?

LH: My ITR is the only car I've ever driven on the track. Maybe we can swap cars for a few sessions next time we meet? 


BA: What is your favorite track that you have driven?

LH: Mid-Ohio, baby, but I would have to say Buttonwillow came close. 


BA: What do you enjoy most about racing or the car community in general?

LH: Freedom of releasing your car and yourself with no speed limit or law to bring you down. Of course the cool people you meet at the event and making new friends while doing it. 


BA: Let's cut straight to the chase. A lot of people complain about the drive, cost involved, and time away, etc. You're the answer to all of those excuses. What keeps bringing you back to Expo? Is it my good looks?

LH: It's an awesome event of course the people are friendly and have a great attitude. If you have any issues everyone is willing to do whatever to help.  I figure once a year won't kill my time or money. You have plenty of time to plan and save ahead of time.  

Yes, Brad, your good looks bring me back every year =).


BA: What made you decide to drive all the way out to Joilet for Expo10?

LH: It was after Eibach ‘10 and I drove about 20+ hours. It was a pretty awesome event and a great experience. But, after a whole day of looking at park cars (including my own) and all the money I put into the car that's when I decided that I was going to start tracking. How I chose Expo10 was through Shawn(Get Right) through Honda-Tech. We started talking on the forum and that's when I decided to make the trip. I also watched a bunch of clips on YouTube of the past ITR Expo events. 


BA: How many miles have you logged in traveling to ITR Expo? 

LH: About 19,500+ I believe. 


BA: What would be some of your favorite memories from the trips? 

LH: Hanging out, drinking beer, the banquets, and of course being on track! 



BA: Your Seahawks won the Super Bowl. Do you think your favorite team, the Heat, can take down my team, the Pacers, in the Eastern Conference?

LH: I believe it's going to be a tough series if they both make it to the Eastern Conference finals. 










No comments:

Post a Comment