Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Interview with Peter Cunningham.

     I usually don't use this blog much over the winter, so I figured that I could pass the time by doing some short interviews of some peers within the community. Being a "Honda fanboy" and the announcement of ITR Expo going to Road America, my choice was easy. I sent Peter a message and that brings us to the present. RealTime played a HUGE part in me wanting to get my Civic on track and ITR Expo is where I met a lot of my good track buddies. So, with the buzz of RealTime and "PD" showing up to Expo, I had to pose the question plus a few more. 


Photo from the RealTime site.

Brap: What was your first car and what ever happened to it?
  
PD: My first car was a 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible that I paid $915 for in January of 1978, six months before my 16th birthday. I had repainted, mounted fog lights behind the grill and put some Crager mags and new tires on it, and then proceeded to pound the living snot out of it for the next few months. Then the tranny started to slip when it was cold, so I sold it quickly for $1,300. I’ve owned very few American cars since then, but never as my primary mode of transportation. My second car was almost a 1979 Honda Civic, but the one I ordered new from a dealer never arrived so I ended up with a Datsun 310GX (with a maroon velour interior, ugh).


Brap: What got you into racing or into cars in general?

PD: I started driving at a very early age. When I was six, my dad would let me steer the family’s Vista Cruiser as I sat next to him on the bench seat. Eventually I would also manage the accelerator and brake. It got to the point that whenever and wherever we went, I was manipulating the controls. It became my passion, I guess. My older sister also had an influence in my interest in cars. She was three years older than I and she was head over heels into neat old cars. That rubbed off for sure. But as far as racing was concerned, I wasn’t exposed to it. I had a few near misses where I could have discovered it earlier, but never did. Finally, a week or two after I graduated from high school, I happened upon an autocross. That was all it took!


Brap: What has been your favorite car to drive on track?

PD: Definitely the RealTime Acura NSX. That car was an amazing work horse and ended up with an outstanding record of success. To this day, that car was the easiest to drive at the edge.


Brap: What is you favorite track that you have driven?

PD: Of course that would be Road America, an old school, world class, four-mile ribbon of undulating asphalt. How cool is it that the Expo will take place at this 600-acre National Park in 2014?


Brap: What do you enjoy most about racing or the car community in general?

PD: The racing community is definitely a great group of people and I consider them my extended family. A lot of the guys I race with and against are some of my best friends. Others I’m not as social with, but even then, there is a quiet mutual respect shared with those in the fraternity. And I like that that they come from all over the country, or even the world. But we all have one common thread that brings us together.


Brap: There is internet hype that you, along with a RealTime car, will be at ITR Expo '14. True or false?

PD: I’ve heard those rumors as well. All I can tell you at this point is we’re not racing that weekend, Road America is only a half hour away from the RealTime shop, and the event will be happening on my birthday.


Brap: Speaking of internet hype. When the RealTime poster came out, the internet went crazy. They were released to Acura dealers and there were a few for sale to the public. The ones for sale went faster than the spots for Honda Meet. Before then, did it ever occur to you the impact that you and RealTime Racing had on the Honda community?

PD: The interest we had with the Acura Motorsports Heritage prints was both gratifying and overwhelming. With the success the team has enjoyed over the years, we’ve had the opportunity to meet tons of fans at each of the different circuits. But certainly with the internet and the insurgence of social media, more people than ever are familiar with the RealTime brand.

And speaking of posters, RTR just commissioned a 12” x 24" reprint of the original limited-edition Acura Heritage lithograph. Just in time for Christmas and only $25 - Get them while they are hot!

If you want a copy send an email to poster@realtimerl.com. 


Brap: You have the most wins and championships in World Challenge history, as well as many other drivers' titles in other series. What can you attribute to your success?

PD: I’ve responded this question often over the years, and the honest answer is the Honda/Acura connection. And the passionate and dedicated people from RealTime who appreciate the history, engineering and performance of the product.


Brap: You've been with Honda for awhile now. What type of role have they played in your success?

PD: Yes, 2014 will be my 28th year with Honda. I used to be young. The role Honda and Acura have played is nothing short of instrumental. I’ve definitely won more races and championships with an ‘H’ or an ‘A’ on the hood than any other brand. As a driver, I have also raced for factory-supported programs from Mazda, BMW, Nissan and Chevrolet, but I think I’ll stick with Acura for the assault of my next title!


Brap: This will be your first ITR Expo, so Jay will put you in the Beginner Group. Do you think that you'll be able to bring the Beginner Group HPDE trophy back to RealTime Racing?

PD: I will do my best. I’ll grid up right behind you, Brad. But I must warn you, I DRIVE FLAT OUT. That is how I drive.


Info on attending ITR Expo, visit www.ITRExpo.com!!


     I wish that I could take him up on the last offer and get my doors blown off. But, with Brandy having a due date of July 8th with our second child, I better not take any chances. I'm bummed at the thought of missing Expo because this one is going to be epic! I hate using that word, but it fits in this case. I don't know how everyone else felt, but I was super stoked the first time that I was on track with Bernie in the ex-RTR car. It just so happened that it was at Mid Ohio, where it all "started". There is something about RealTime that connects me and my Honda to the track. Now there is the opportunity to be on track with PD and the RealTime Racing team at their home track, you better book the dates(June 30-July 1)!! 



From my first trip to Mid Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment